[lbo-talk] Jonah Goldberg is a wimp

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 13:37:55 PDT 2003

Goldberg's response:

"Here's a letter from Mickey Signorile to the Poynter Institute whining that I wouldn't appear on an NPR show with him. He's right, I wouldn't. I didn't want to do the show in the first place but I agreed to and so I was willing to honor my obligation. Then the producer told me late in the day that Signorile would be on with me. And I said, screw it I'm not doing it. My reason: Signorile is an ass. I'm sure Mickey sincerely thinks I'm afraid of him, but the truth is I simply have better things to do with my time than drive downtown and be civil to someone whose idea of serious commentary is to call me a fat bigot. No biggie, I told the producers, I don't want to book their show so I will gladly be the one to beg-off and they can go with Mickey. They said no, no we have someone else instead. I said fine. I have no idea what they told Mickey, and since I think he's fundamentally dishonest and egocentric I'm sure he heard things in the most self-flattering light possible. Still, next time the opportunity comes up I guess I'll say yes to appearing with him, because if I set a policy of never appearing with asses I would rarely do media and lord only knows how many liberals would refuse to appear with me.

"As for Romensko, it's kind of funny. This guy -- who claims to run some sort of authoritative, objective blog on the media -- never sees fit to print my name when I write serious pieces about the media in places like the Wall Street Journal while he'll be all over some storry about a cat stuck in a tree in the Food Giant Shopper). Yet, when one of his leftwing gay friends wants to vent, Romensko offers him a digital shoulder to cry on. I guess Andrew Sullivan is right. Romensko is a partisan hack."

As opposed to Goldberg? Here's his email -- tell him what you think:

jonahnro at aol.com

DP