[lbo-talk] offshoring vs technical visas, was: IT, Other White Collar Jobs FloatingTo Cheaper Locales

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 2 14:11:50 PDT 2003

From the, 'ahem, John Birch Society, far right loons, after an attack on Nader and Lori Wallach as, "Marxoid, " and the, "controlled opposition" http://www.thenewamerican.com/tna/2003/06-30-2003/vo19no13_trading.htm
> ...The Marxist rhetoric, radical appearance, and often violent
> demonstrations of these leftists tend to make the one-world champions of
> the WTO appear more reasonable, respectable, and centrist by comparison.
> This image contrast is repeatedly reinforced by a continuous parade of
> CFR-sponsored economists, forecasters, business leaders, brain trusts,
> and Republican leaders with impressive-sounding "research" that seems to
> show that what we need is more hair of the dog that bit us. We must
> simply enact more and more "Free Trade Agreements," while simultaneously
> yielding more and more authority to the WTO and sending more and more
> jobs overseas, claim these "enlightened" voices, when courting the
> American business community.

This is the essence of the message delivered to U.S. corporate leaders in an influential 2003 report from Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, a CFR corporate member. Entitled The Cusp of a Revolution: How offshoring will transform the financial services industry, the Deloitte report tells CEOs that they had better get their companies aboard the offshore express before they miss out completely on this "transformational" opportunity and are left in the dust.

"The shifting of activities to lower-cost locations," it claims, "ignites the possibility of transforming the structure of the financial-services industry. Indeed, it offers a once-in-a-generation opportunity to reduce significantly the operating costs of the majority of financial institutions." According to the report, "$356 billion of cost for the global financial-services industry will be relocated offshore within the next five years. We calculate that this will translate into a bottom-line annual cost savings of $138 billion (or $1.4 billion each) for the world’s top 100 financial-services companies by 2008."

Estimating that 13 million people are employed in financial services jobs in "mature industrial economies," the Deloitte analysis predicts a "potential movement of up to two million jobs" offshore. Cusp of a Revolution notes: "In 5 years GE Capital has offshored 11,000 positions to India and is now considering the impact of commercializing their offshore capabilities on their competitive advantage."

"Only a minority of financial institutions yet have offshore operations," says the Deloitte report. It continues: "Momentum has built rapidly within the industry, however, and we estimate that nearly three-of-four major financial institutions will be offshore within two years."

"It is essential to catch the wave of offshoring because the benefits are potentially transformational," says the much-quoted report. "As offshoring gathers momentum, so the types of functions will expand to include all types of business processes." "Those institutions currently offshore," says Deloitte, "particularly investment banks and insurers, will lead the shift to full-service offshoring."

If the CFR cabal dominating the White House, Congress, and the media have their way, GATS and the multiplying FTAs will lead to offshoring virtually all of America’s productive capacity and, with it, our rapidly disappearing prosperity, freedom, and independence.

Besides the recently signed FTAs with Chile and Singapore, the Bush administration is nearing completion on bilateral FTAs with Morocco and Australia. It also plans to complete two regional FTAs by year’s end: the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) with Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and El Salvador; and the South African Customs Union with South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, and Swaziland. Then there is the big granddaddy of the regional FTAs, the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA), involving 34 nations of North and South America and the Caribbean, scheduled for completion by 2005. Over the coming weeks and months, President Bush will be sending these agreements to Congress for a "fast track" up-or-down vote. By late 2004 the administration also plans to have completed negotiations on GATS. If we allow these agreements to be adopted and implemented, the United States will be headed on the fast track to self-demolition and oblivion, from world superpower to Third World has- been, a mere cog in the new one-world imperium.

Relatively little organized opposition to these schemes has materialized, except for that led by the left-wing anti-globalization forces. Most Republicans and conservative, patriotic Americans, still enamored of President Bush, have bought into the nonsensical arguments of the administration that these FTAs are the ticket to ever-expanding prosperity.

But that is changing rapidly, as more and more Americans are feeling the harsh reality of the planned "new world order" or are beginning to see the writing on the wall concerning their own jobs, businesses, and professions. By attacking virtually every segment of society simultaneously, the one- worlders may be miscalculating; they risk awakening, angering, and activating an immense resistance involving Americans from all socio- economic backgrounds and every walk of life. These newly awakened Americans can be reached and organized into a formidable force to upset the subversive globalist agenda and preserve our independence. But we have no time to waste.