[lbo-talk] offshoring vs technical visas, was: IT, Other White Collar Jobs FloatingTo Cheaper Locales

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jul 2 16:57:28 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> The numbers on India's share of the software market
> (services included) are of some interest but do not
> tell the story that actual workers are witnessing.
> Besides, "knowledge work" of various sorts (financial
> analysis, call center, programming, remote monitoring,
> etc) is being sent to places other than India.
>
> China and the Philippines, to name two up-and-comers,
> are starting to make their mark.

Though China is an emerging competitor,it would be a serious competitor in about 4-5 years. I don't have data on software exports of China and Philippines, but my guess is their exports must a fraction of Indian exports. What about Israel and Ireland?

> But the concern is not motivated by phantoms. The
> losses are real and perhaps permanent.

You don't expect software industry to revive and grow after few years?

Ulhas