[lbo-talk] Howard Dean: "Now That We're There We Can't Leave"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 3 00:22:39 PDT 2003

***** National Public Radio (NPR) SHOW: Morning Edition (11:00 AM AM ET) - NPR July 2, 2003 Wednesday LENGTH: 1493 words HEADLINE: Howard Dean on issues that are important to him as a Democratic presidential candidate ANCHORS: BOB EDWARDS BODY:

...[BOB] EDWARDS [host]: What would you be doing differently in postwar Iraq?

Dr. DEAN: Now that we're there we can't leave. We cannot allow chaos or fundamentalist regime in Iraq because it could be fertile ground for al-Qaeda. First thing I would do is bring in 40 to 50,000 other troops. I'd look to Arab countries, Islamic countries who are our allies, NATO, the United Nations. General Shinseki, before we went in, said that we did not have enough troops. The administration ignored that advice. It turned out to be true. It was a bad thing the administration ignored their own military expertise. We need those troops. We're not keeping order in Iraq. And it seems to me that what we need is some expertise from people who know how to police countries that are in some chaos and who understand how to administer and build the institutions of democracy. We're going to be there for a long time in Iraq. We can't leave. Because if we do before there's established democracy, many worse things will happen to both the Iraqi people and to America if the terrorists move in.... ***** -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>