[lbo-talk] Re: offshoring vs technical visas

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Thu Jul 3 16:34:28 PDT 2003

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/H1BSummary.pdf

Building A Workforce For The Information Economy, http://www.nap.edu/catalog/9830.html

> pointed out that H-1Bs have an adverse impact on overall wage

> levels.

kj khoo Fri, 4 Jul 2003 01:16:17 +0800

> Happened to just look at the BLS analysis of its 1988-2000

> occupation projections, and it turned out that their projections for

> electrical and electronics engineers was way off. There was an

> absolute decline in the number of electrical and electronics

> engineers in 2000 compared to 1988, and way off from their

> projection of a huge increase.

> Now surely H1-B visa holders would be included in that count of e&e

> in 2000? If so, then this blaming of cheaper immigrants can't be

> correct.

Really? What part of this reasoning would you attack: during some recent period (e.g. 1998-2003)

0 Employment in engineering in the US has declined in absolute terms.

1 Per-capita compensation of US engineers has declined in real terms.

2 Large numbers of foreign engineers have been brought in under

technical visas (esp H1-B and L-1).

3 Those non-citizen engineers earn less than citizen engineers.

(Worse yet, aspect of the visa programs tend to produce indentured servitude, much as with other US labor-importation programs. See http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html#tth_sEc2.1 )

4 One may reasonably conclude that engineering labor imported into the

US reduces compensation to engineers in the US.

Seems like pretty straightforward supply-and-demand. Am I missing something?