[lbo-talk] U.S. Weakness and the Struggle for Hegemony by Immanuel Wallerstein

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 3 16:44:01 PDT 2003

John Mage wrote:

>Agree that we have used the word at times to excess, but the fact
>remains that half or more of the people of the world have less property
>than your cat and less assurance that they will get fed to satisfaction
>or get medical treatment if they're ill. If you look at the world from
>their perspective - and that is what Monthly Review is about - the
>crisis is real enough.

Maybe this is just nitpicking, but when something is ubiquitous and long-lived it seems wrong to call it a crisis. Crisis suggests a real problem with a system's reproduction, and capitalism has managed to reproduce itself - and expand - for centuries. Trotsky didn't mean it that way, did he? Wasn't crisis another word for death agony?

Doug