[lbo-talk] Today's "Comparison of U.S. to Fascism": From Boston Review

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 5 19:46:22 PDT 2003

The article seemed banal, but the subject line is interesting. _Of course_ one can COMPARE the current u.s. to fascism, just as one can compare oranges to apples _as fruits_ or belts to suspenders (u.s. not british sense) _as modes of holding up trousers_ or shotguns to 22s _as modes of shooting rabbits_.

We in the u.s. are confronted by a _serious_ threat to our traditional civil freedoms, just as the Germans were in 1930 or the Italians in 1920. But squawks about _fascism_ are ways of _avoiding_ the danger to our freedom, just as someone who fretted about scurvy in the midst of a flu epidemic would be interfering with the proper public health measures. The tactics which would have been appropriate to opposing Mussolini's fascits are utterly irrelevant to opposing the attack mounted by the Clinton and Bush administrations on civil freedoms in the u.s. during the last decade.

Carrol