[lbo-talk] Philly Event: Protest Wihtout A Purpose?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Jul 7 07:05:50 PDT 2003

Mr. Beaulieu appreciates the fact that a free-Mumia professor was pleasant to him; would that he had been more sympathetic to the folks he considered loony radicals.

Unfortunately, I was too busy (having recently moved and not yet moved in) to attend that particular demo, but having been to many similar ones over the years, I would suggest to Mr. Beaulieu that he be a bit more charitable to his fellow demonstrators. Yes, some radicals do seem a bit touched in the head at first encounter; one great advantage of what we loosely refer to as "the movement" is that it provides a sympathetic home to many people who are shunned by conventional society. But if he had restrained his judgmental attitude a bit, he might have learned quite a lot from the experience.

(And perhaps he could have made use of SEPTA, the local mass-transit authority, which needs all the support it can get, rather than his SUV, to get to the demo.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _______________________________ "Play the guitar like you don't know how to play." (Miles' instruction to John McLaughlin)