[lbo-talk] Fwd: Savage Homophobia on MSNBC

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 7 18:13:15 PDT 2003

>well that was quick:
>
>http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0707savage-fired07-ON.html
>MSNBC fires Savage after anti-gay remarks
>Associated Press
>Jul. 7, 2003 01:00 PM
>NEW YORK - MSNBC on Monday fired Michael Savage for anti-gay comments.
>
>The popular radio talk show host who did a weekend TV show for the
>cable channel referred to an unidentified caller to his show
>Saturday as a "sodomite" and said he should "get AIDS and die."
>
>"His comments were extremely inappropriate and the decision was an
>easy one," MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines said
>
>-gr

Wow! It seems that much of good news that I've heard in recent months has been good news on the queer front. We must have made a great leap forward in homosexualizing America. :-)

The way the US government is increasing oversea deployments of US troops, pretty soon the USG will have to scrap the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" compromise policy and join West European nations and Israel in allowing homosexual soldiers to come out of the closet without fear of getting discharged.

Cf. "In the thirteen years since 1989, Army operational deployments have tripled in number compared to those conducted during the previous 50 years of the Cold War. In a general sense, those deployments have become longer, are more open-ended, and require more Soldiers, while simultaneously the size of the active duty Army has shrunk by almost 37%" ("Statement of Lieutenant General David D. McKiernan, Deputy Chief of Staff, G3, United States Army, before the House Armed Services Committee Special Oversight Panel on Terrorism," July 11, 2002, <http://www.house.gov/hasc/openingstatementsandpressreleases/107thcongress/07-11-02mckiernan.html>). -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>