[lbo-talk] DeLong on Hayek

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Jul 8 14:55:57 PDT 2003

that's a good post from brad, but i have to say, what brittan puts his finger on makes remarkable sense to me in the context of all the libertarian posters we used to get on the message boards at this political ezine where i used to work.

they were by and large precisely the sort of pedant who insists on reminding you at least once a week that the US is *not* a democracy, but a democratic republic. they also liked to refer to democracy as mob rule or "mobocracy". they were rand and hayek fans, almost to the last one.

to be fair, a number also liked to describe the US as a plutocratic state, but i'm not sure this was seen as distinct from or in any conflict with their otherwise elitist-individualist sentiments.

-- http://www.brainmortgage.com/