[lbo-talk] Microsoft Plans An End Run Around, Oh, Everyone

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 9 08:18:26 PDT 2003

There are some almost built-in resistances to the type of monopoly power Dwayne describes. John D. Rockefeller Sr. was so busy running Standard Oil that he didn't have much time to manage his personal finances. (He finally hired someone to do it.) Along the way he go a deed to some Upper Michigan land as payment for a debt or something. The land turned out to have most of the iron of the u.s. in it. A ruling-class committee called on him, saying in effect, John, no one person is going to have a death grip on _both_ the energy and the main raw material. He sold the land. (No -- I don't remember my source for this, and can't guarantee its accuracy.)

Carrol