[lbo-talk] Re: Microsoft Plans An End Run Around, Oh, Everyone

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Jul 9 09:22:17 PDT 2003

Windows Server 2003 and the new chips from Intel and AMD are the first full components to see the light of day. More will come. Dwayne Monroe

------

Wasn't this scheme talked up before, using the protcol layer?

Anyway the problem that immediately occurred to me was backward compability. If M$uck doesn't provide some means of backard compability to initiate the scheme on existing machines, then the vast corporate user base will scream since existing systems would be effectively cut out. They might isolate themselves rather than the market they seek to control.

I would suspect that they have a phase-in plan of somesort. They would have to start by making the hardware selectably ON or OFF, and offer software that was also ON or OFF for this to work during a phased in period.

Chuck Grimes