[lbo-talk] Constitutional debate

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Jul 9 15:17:56 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 04:31 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Maybe. I think that if they created a heritable honor
> that required that the Hero be dubbed with a sword,
> called Sir, etc. that even Scalia and Thomas might
> choke.

Unless, of course, they were among the first recipients. I think they'd really enjoy that. And what about Rehnquist, with his famous special robe with the scarlet stripes on the sleeves, or whatever it was?

But the wider question is, what relevance does the constitutional prohibition of granting titles of nobility have today? I can understand why the "founding generation" was keen to differentiate the U.S. political system from Europe, but perhaps if the Bush gang were to start "knighting" and "dame-ing" and "earling" and "dutchessing" its friends, the public might get a clearer idea of what is actually going on. It looks as though Haliburton has already, in effect, been declared "purveyor to His Majesty of whatever His Majesty wants done among the lesser races."

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ "I believe in seeing two sides to an issue so as I can show the other guy where he is wrong." -- Archie Bunker