[lbo-talk] RE: Liberia

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 9 17:25:17 PDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:05:34 -0400, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> It's become the default left explanation for everything the U.S. does.
> Somalia was about oil. Afg was about a pipeilne. Liberia is about oil -
> in Nigeria. Etc.
>
> Doug

See chapter in Chomsky's, "American Power and the New Mandarins, " (the essay dedicated to A.J. Muste, long piece originally in the NYRB) on WWII, Japanese sub-imperialism and the need for raw materials, esp. oil.

New volume by Peter Dale Scott, "Drugs, Oil, and War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia, and Indochina, " published by Rowman & Littlefield. Blurbs by Daniel Ellsberg and other left luminaries. One chapter, looks like it builds on his early 70's piece on oil and the Vietnam War in, "America's Asia: Dissenting Essays..." from scholars attached to, "Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars, " in an excellent series Pantheon/Random House had of New Left historians.

From the Rowman & Littlefield website. http://www.rowmanlittlefield.com/Catalog/Reviews.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0742525228 Peter Dale Scott's brilliantly researched tour de force illuminates the underlying forces that drive U.S. global policy from Vietnam to Colombia and now to Afghanistan and Iraq. He brings to light the intertwined patterns of drugs, oil politics, and intelligence networks that have been so central to the larger workings of U.S. intervention and escalation in Third World countries through alliances with drug-trafficking proxies. This strategy was originally developed in the late 1940s to contain communist China; it has since been used to secure control over foreign petroleum resources. The result has been a staggering increase in the global drug traffic and the mafias associated with it-a problem that will worsen until there is a change in policy.

Scott argues that covert operations almost always outlast the specific purpose for which they were designed. Instead, they grow and become part of a hostile constellation of forces. The author terms this phenomenon parapolitics-the exercise of power by covert means-which tends to metastasize into deep politics-the interplay of unacknowledged forces that spin out of the control of the original policy initiators. We must recognize that U.S. influence is grounded not just in military and economic superiority, Scott contends, but also in so-called soft power. We need a "soft politics" of persuasion and nonviolence, especially as America faces the prospect of yet another disastrous intervention, this time in Iraq. -- Michael Pugliese