[lbo-talk] Rightwing College Students Target Ehrenreich's 'Nickel & Dimed'

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed Jul 9 20:04:50 PDT 2003

*snicker* in case anyone is ever interested, I participated in the development of a team taught course on citizenship. the mission: present both sides. (mind you, this was a comparatively conservative university. speakers for this class included: newt, powell, kirkpatrick. the only person who represented anything remotely lib'rul: a local activist named howie hawkins.)

we'd get this complaint, still. we were too one-sided. yeahsureright.

i took a lesson from this and from some of our activist work in a deindustrializing community. it was sort of modeled after Saul Alinksy's project. Anyway, at the beginning of classes, i have them write anonymous, ungraded essays about topics we are going to discuss. why are there poor people? what can we do about it? what is affirmative action? why does it exist? should we keep it.?is the family disappearing? why? what should we do about it? what about work? why can't we all have meaningful work? is that possible? blahbeddyblahfookinblah

i'd go through the essays, content analysis style, and show how many had "conservative" "liberal" "radical" views. etc.

then, we establish together, with evidence, that there was a dominant view and that view was mainly conservative!

Soooooo, obviously the other side that they always think is missing had done a damn good job already, and gosh-a-golly how did they learn all this? parents? tv? firends? observation?> what?

guess it's time to give a hearing to the "other" side since thee's, like, this dominant view out there an' all!

heh.

they still didn't like it. :)

i heart gramsci,

Kelley