[lbo-talk] stalin vs. hitler, the comic book

Jonathan Schwarz jonathan.schwarz2 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 10 07:53:46 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 03:33 AM, "Chris Doss" <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, a short while ago, Moscow held a display the uniform Hitler was
> wearing
> in the bunker when he shot himself. They were going to exhibit his
> skull
> (with bullet hole) but decided against it.

I believe both were loaned to a museum in Washington several years ago and exhibited, along with lots of other stuff from Adolf's bunker. I wanted to get to D.C. to see, but couldn't, to my long-lasting regret.

Also, there was a fascinating story in Harper's a while back by someone who'd been a student at Columbia University in the eighties (I think) and needed a job, so started doing work for an elderly woman on the Upper West Side. She told him she'd been a journalist in World War II and got into the bunker soon after Berlin fell. Then she went to a closet and got down a box, from which she produced a piece of cloth stained with old, old blood. She said it had been the headcloth on the sofa where Hitler shot himself, and the blood was his. He believed her, since she also had a picture from Life (I think) of people in the bunker standing next to the sofa, with the piece of cloth visible on it and stained with blood.

Where did the Soviet Union keep Hitler's remains during the Cold War, by the way? The same place where they kept the Czar?