[lbo-talk] A Call for Unity of the U.S. Anti-War Movement

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jul 10 09:28:27 PDT 2003

This may be a well-meaning statement, but it is ignorant and naive for many reasons. The main problem with it is that it posits the existence of one monolithic anti-war movement, when there are actually several peace and anti-war movements with different agendas, tactics, styles, goals, and messaging. The anti-capitalist anti-war movement has some big difference with the peace movement over tactics. It also has some huge differences with the liberal tendencies in the anti-war and peace movements. Trying to get all of these movements to function as one is foolish as much as it disrepects the various movements. It is naive to pretend that some kind of false unity will make these movements more effective. So this statement about THE Anti-War Movement (tm) is ignorant because it doesn't comprehend the varied terrain of anti-war and peace activism.

On a more political level, you just aren't going to get UFPJ and ANSWER to work together. UFPJ exists because the liberal and progressive anti-war activists want a big organized alternative to the vanguardist ANSWER. There has even been a recent split within UFPJ, by activists who are upset with the lack of internal democracy in UFPJ. Of course, ANSWER and UFPJ may be the most loud-mouthed of the peace groups, but they represent a minority within the greater movements against war (especially local peace and justice groups). I just can't see this effort to "unite" the peace movement (sic) panning out, as it would inflame a struggle for power by the authoritarians running UFPJ and ANSWER.

For multiple movements against war and for peace, not one big one run by self-appointed leaders,

Chuck0 Infoshop.org