[lbo-talk] Rieff on humanitarian intervention

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Jul 10 10:15:36 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 11:05 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> To do this, we must acquire all the trappings of an imperial
> bureaucracy, by whatever name we choose to conceal it, and not imagine
> that our armed forces, no matter how powerful they are, can do the job
> alone.

cue pw singer on the dogs of war:

<clip>

Similarly, the aforementioned Executive Outcomes performed a business exploration of whether it would have had the capacity to intervene in Rwanda in 1994. Internal plans claim that the company could have had armed troops on the ground within 14 days of its hire and been fully deployed with over 1,500 of its own soldiers, along with air and fire support (roughly the equivalent of the U.S. Marine force that first deployed into Afghanistan), within six weeks. The cost for a six-month operation to provide protected safe havens from the genocide was estimated at $150 million (around $600,000 a day). This private option compares quite favorably with the eventual U.N. relief operation, which deployed only after the killings. The U.N. operation ended up costing $3 million a day (and did nothing to save hundreds of thousands of lives).

More recently, a consortium of military firms, interestingly entitled the “International Peace Operations Association,” has proposed that it be hired to work on behalf of the largely ineffectual monuc peacekeeping operations in the Eastern Congo. The private military firms, which range from aerial surveillance operators to a company of Gurkha veterans, have offered to create a “Security Curtain” (50 km demilitarized zone) in one of the most lawless areas on the African continent. The ipoa’s charge would be between $100-200 million, dependent on the scale of the operation. So far, it has found no takers, but the level of violence in the area continues to escalate. </clip>

singer is not exactly sanguine, however. for example, among problems members of this list might themselves point out:

<clip> Second, privatization also raises certain risks stemming from problems of adverse selection and a lessening of accountability. Military provider firms are not always looking for the most congenial workforce, but instead, understandably enough, recruit those known for their effectiveness. For example, many former members of the most notorious and ruthless units of the Soviet and apartheid regimes have found employment in the industry. These individuals acted without concern for human rights in the past and certainly could do so again. In either case, the industry cannot be described as imbued with a culture of peacekeeping.

Even if the firms are scrupulous in screening their hires (which is hard to accomplish, given that few prospective employees would think to include an “atrocities committed” section on their resumes), it is still difficult for them to monitor their troops in the field. Furthermore, if employees do commit violations, there is little incentive for a firm to turn them over to any local authorities. To do so risks scaring off both clients and other prospective employees. This turned out to be the case recently in the Balkans. Employees of Dyncorp, who had been contracted to perform police duties for the U.N. and aircraft maintenance for the U.S. Army, were later implicated in child prostitution rings. Dyncorp’s Bosnia site supervisor even filmed himself raping two women. These employees were transferred out of the country, and none were ever criminally prosecuted. </clip>

http://www.policyreview.org/jun03/singer.html

i *think* singer's take is that military operations are increasingly privatized, as it is (see his exmple above, as well as US operations in Latin America, Colombia especially). given that, on the one hand, and, for example, the world's paralysis in the face of genocide-in-progress in rwanda, it's worth wondering whether this solution--or some alternate version of it--is any worse than US imperial troops. imo, UN troops would be the optimal solution, but that would entail some highly unlikely changes in UN culture and structure.

anyway, fwiw.