[lbo-talk] stalin vs. hitler, the comic book

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 10 10:35:37 PDT 2003

Personally, I think the politicians get too much credit for WW2, at the expense of the Zhukovs, Nimitzes, etc. Or, more importantly, the Soviet population and US industrial capacity.

I would say Churchill's biggest virtue by far was recognising the size of the Nazi threat early on. But his military leadership was a litany of terrible incompetence (as early as Gallipoli in 1915): e.g. France & Norway in 1940, Greece, Singapore, Dieppe....

I believe the conventional wisdom these days is that Hitler blew two huge opportunities early on: Dunkirk; and the Battle of Britain through the tactics he imposed on the Luftwaffe, such as targeting civilians instead of RAF bases.