"Re: [lbo-talk] Constitutional debate"

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Thu Jul 10 13:28:33 PDT 2003

To make amends for my petulant hyperbole in replying to Justin's WWII post, I am with him in this debate with my brother. The law (and what any legal document "means") is a (more or less consistent) social historical practice, and its results are not deducible from the sciences of language and/or logic. What the words of the US Constitution or the Statute of Westminster "mean" in the law is far more likely to be correctly predicted by a practicisng lawyer (even one without Justin's massive skills in the sciences of language and logic) than the most skilled philologist.

john mage