[lbo-talk] stalin vs. hitler, the comic book

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 10:40:03 PDT 2003

You can't have it both ways, John. either your view, aand Roi's, and mine, are all equally silly because historical counterfactuals are nonsense, in which case there is no point in having such views, or they're just sort of indeterminate like all social scientific hypotheses about counterfactual states of affairs. For example, that workers would be better off if they owned and controlled means of production . . .

In fact, we cannot make sense of history at all if we treat counterfactuals as unknowable nonsense, although therea re limits. There's no point in asking, for example, what would have happened if Hitler had teamed up with Ghengis Khan to attck the USSR from the East as well as the West. The possible worlds we discuss have to be relevantly close, whatever the the measure of closeness is. (If my old prof David Lewis is right, these possible worlds actually exist!) But a world without lend-lease, say because the Battle of Britain or the Battle of the Atlantic had been lost, is not too far in my judgment.

And like John, I am absolutely positive about the outcome in the case, but think it would be different from what John thinks it would have been, because I think the Eastern front was a lot more touch-and-go than John does, probably because I have a lot less confidence in the glories of the FSU. I am of course immensely grateful to them for saving the world at Stalingrad and Moscow and Leningrad . . . but they didn't (and couldn't) do it by themselves.