[lbo-talk] Re: Lieberman

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 13:20:15 PDT 2003

I think the Democrats should nominate a (reformed) drug-using, drunk-driving draft dodger who hid out from the war in the National Guard, but was AWOL for most of his time there. . . .

I actually disagree very strongly with the people who say that anyone to the left of Clinton could never win an election as Democrat. I think that a class war Democrat would demolish the Repugs so thoroughly that they would not be able to show their faces again for a generation. I'm not talking about Dean, who's not particularly left. I mean someone with the spirit of Lyndon Johnson. He'd have to be mean like Lyndon too. The problem is not that he couldn't win, but the Democrats would be afraid to nominate him and win on those terms.

I don't advocate trying to reform the Democratic Party to get them to change their ways; I don't think that will work. I do think that we may be in a real lesser-evil choice this time, where Bushies are an evil that is great enough to justify voting for the Democrat, unless its Lieberman, or possibly Edwards. jks