[lbo-talk] Rieff on humanitarian intervention

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jul 11 13:51:07 PDT 2003

From: Shane Taylor ^^^^^^

CB: Humanitarian intervention = White Man's Burden 2003. Oh , the poor white man, the poor liberal, woe is he. He has to take care of all the colored people of the world who don't know how to take care of themselves. Oh, the poor , altruistic , white man has such a burden on him , the cares of the world on his shoulders. Thank God for the white man. Otherwise, what would we do but destroy ourselves ?

> Wall Street Journal - July 10, 2003
>
> Beware Wars of Altruism
> By DAVID RIEFF

[....]

> The most obvious question that we need to ask
> ourselves is whether the mission of America
> should really be to save other nations from their
> own, homegrown calamities? John Adams's stern
> admonition to the nation, more than two centuries
> ago -- that it was not the job of the U.S. to go out
> and fight monsters -- cannot and should not be
> dismissed lightly. It is one thing to protect the vital
> interests of the republic, whether economic or
> strategic, and quite another to commit ourselves
> to endless wars of altruism.
>
> For wars they will certainly be. Anyone who falls
> for the idea that deploying in Liberia is
> fundamentally risk-free or constitutes more an
> exercise in police work than an exercise in
> war-making has not understood the lessons of
> the 1990s in such supposed "peacekeeping"
> deployments as Somalia, Bosnia or Kosovo.
> Somalia went badly wrong and Bosnia and Kosovo
> went right, but the chastening lesson is the
> same: to intervene on humanitarian grounds is
> to go to war and, more important still, to conquer
> or -- to put the matter yet more starkly -- to
> colonize.

"We must be aware of the dangers which lie in our most generous wishes. Some paradox of our nature leads us, when once we have made our fellow men the objects of our enlightened interest, to go on to make them the objects of our pity, then of our wisdom, ultimately of our coercion."

-- Lionel Trilling