Dean is not progressive Re: [lbo-talk] Democrats: Thunder On the Left

Lance Murdoch lbotalk at lancemurdoch.org
Fri Jul 11 16:15:07 PDT 2003

I am sick of hearing how liberal and progressive Dean supposedly is. On Meet the Press he said he wanted to raise the age of Social Security. He wants balanced budgets no matter what, and is called a "fiscal conservative" in virtually every article. How liberal and progressive is this?

Gephardt is from Missouri, a relatively conservative area relative to Vermont, but has been behind labor 110% since his first day in office. Dean seems to be the hit among the upper middle class, white professional limousine liberal crowd. So a lot of these folks sent him some money through a web site so he gets some name recognition...barf. It's real easy to be an outsider and talk a lot of BS, he's already backtracking on his Iraq talk now that he's in the press all of the time. Not that Gephardt is perfect, but I think he has slugged it out in Washington DC for working class and progressive issues a lot longer and harder than Dean and his yuppie liberal constituency who make me want to puke.

-- Lance