[lbo-talk] M. Benjamin & Occupation Watch on Everyday Life in Iraq

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Jul 11 23:25:32 PDT 2003

Baghdad Journal: The Clock Is Ticking

Medea Benjamin, AlterNet July 9, 2003

BAGHDAD -- There are two ways to get to Iraq from Jordan--by air and

by land. The air option is at best limited: there are no commercial

flights and the few UN planes that have extra room are either booked

or get canceled at the last minute. Thus, the advance team to set up

the International Occupation Watch Center, consisting of myself and

Gael Murphy from Code Pink took the overland route.

The International Occupation Watch Center in Baghdad will be an

on-the-ground effort to get out reliable information to the global

peace movement about the actions of the occupying forces and U.S.

companies. The center will also support emerging Iraqi independent

groups and serve as a hub for international visitors who want to

support Iraqi efforts to end the occupation and rebuild their country.

But first we had to get there, and in the process we learned just how

fast the situation is deteriorating for the Iraqis and the U.S. troops

stationed there.

Our first encounter with U.S. troops came when we crossed the Iraqi

border. Two red-faced boys with fuzzy cheeks who couldn't have been

over 18 ran up to greet us, happy to find English speakers. At 9 AM,

the day was already promising to be a scorcher and these poor kids,

one from Kansas and the other from Arkansas, were dripping with sweat

as they stood in the sun in their combat boots, flak jackets and thick

helmets, holding submachine guns.

As we waited for our passports to be processed, we talked to a dozen

more soldiers. They didn't speak the language or understand the

culture here. Their bodies weren't conditioned for the oppressive heat

that shot up to 120 degrees in the shade. They were sick of eating

tasteless military rations ("What I'd give for a REAL meal," one of

the boys said wistfully). They were mostly young kids dreaming about

their girlfriends and families and air-conditioning and hamburgers.

All they wanted was to be sent back home -- "Yesterday wouldn't be

soon enough," said a freckle-faced recruit from Wisconsin.

They had come to fight a war and now found themselves patrolling the

border, searching for stolen goods or fake passports. While they were

good-natured to us, they were gruff with the Iraqis. They barked

orders at them in English, with hand signals. "Stop, pull your car

over, get out, get in line."

The Iraqis waiting in line for their entry stamps looked tired, hungry

and exasperated at having their country's border controlled by

18-year-old foreigners strutting around with guns or sitting atop

heavily armored humvees and tanks. The whole scene was unnerving, a

flashback to the days of British colonialism. The U.S. weaponry might

be modern, but the model of occupying someone else's country is

definitely an old one. Just from watching the scene at the border, you

could smell trouble.

We made the dash from the increasingly tense border to Baghdad -

through what our driver called "Ali Baba land," the highway robber

paradise - at about 120 miles an hour. At about 5 PM, after 11 hours

of whizzing by the debris of war -- carcasses of tanks, overturned

buses, bomb craters and abandoned houses, we made it safely to

Baghdad.

At our hotel, the Andaluz Apartments, where we stayed earlier this

year, the owners and staff greeted us with joy and open arms. We were

delighted to find them all in one piece, but they told us their

terrifying stories of living through the invasion. The manager's home

had been bombed by mistake, and several journalists had been killed in

the hotel across the road by U.S. munitions. When we asked about

conditions right now, their biggest complaints were about two things:

the lack of security and the lack of electricity.

The security problem is mainly the result of the chaos the invasion

unleashed. With no government and no authority, thieves are constantly

on the prowl. The "Ali Babas" had already looted and gutted just about

every government building; now they break into businesses and homes,

even pulling people from their cars to steal the vehicle. Stories of

girls being kidnapped and raped make many women afraid to leave their

homes. Gunfire could be heard in different parts of the city every

night. Without security, said one of the staff, we have nothing.

The lack of electricity is an equally pressing concern. The gas

pipeline that fed power stations in Baghdad was bombed during the war.

Since then looters or saboteurs have stolen electrical wires and

toppled pylons. The suffocating heat only exacerbates the situation.

Without fans or air-conditioning, working and sleeping is misery.

Without refrigeration, food goes rancid. Without electricity, water

pumps don't work. Without electricity, gas can't be pumped into cars.

Without electricity, traffic lights don't work; roads are clogged and

utterly chaotic. And without electricity, the streets are dark at

night, so thieves roam at will.

The complaints about security and electricity that we heard the moment

we walked into our hotel were complaints we would hear repeated over

and over again during our stay. The other preoccupation was the lack

of jobs, with hundreds of thousand of people -- from soldiers to state

functionaries -- now out of work. And for the lucky few who have jobs,

the salaries are totally inadequate to compensate for the rising

prices.

It's true that there are many positive changes since the downfall of

Saddam Hussein's regime. Iraqis are for the most part delighted that

Saddam is gone. We met people who had family members tortured and

killed by the prior regime who, for the first time, are able to openly

grieve and seek justice. We met Iraqis returning from decades in

exile, overcome by emotion at being able to come back home.

Iraqis are just only now discovering newfound freedoms like freedom of

speech, assembly and association. We accompanied workers at the

Palestine Hotel who went on strike and successfully got rid of an

abusive general manager. We walked with women from a newly formed

women's group demanding their rights and a say in the new government.

Young students who had little access to outside information are now

saving their money to get on-line at one of the new Internet cafes.

But despite these positive openings, most of the people we meet say

their lives were better before -- under Saddam Hussein -- than they

are now. Before, at least there was order. Before at least they had

jobs and salaries, electricity and water. Before, at least women were

not afraid to walk the streets. Many ask "How come the Americans were

so prepared and competent when it came to making the war but so

utterly unprepared and incompetent when it comes to rebuilding?"

Every day, the United States appears to be losing ground here in Iraq.

There are an average of 13 attacks a day on the occupation forces, and

there is less and less sympathy among Iraqis when U.S. soldiers are

attacked. To many, the words freedom and liberation now seem like a

cruel joke.

Two elderly moneychangers sitting outdoors in the brutal heat clothed

in long flowing robes and white caps sat at their stand hawking thick

wads of Saddam Hussein bills, which is still the currency in use. We

started chatting. They asked where we were from. "Oh, America," one

answered, crossing his arms against his chest, "I love America."

"How about the soldiers?" we asked, pointing behind them at U.S.

soldiers sitting atop ferocious-looking tanks, weapons at the ready.

The man who "loved America" said how happy they were to be free of

Saddam Hussein, but the other man demurred. I asked him directly, "So

you think the soldiers should go home to America?" Both men broke out

in big grins. "Yes, Saddam gone. That's good. Soldiers should go, too.

Many Iraqis don't like them here."

They said if conditions in Iraq do not improve soon -- a month, two

months, six months -- it won't be just Saddam loyalists or Shi'ite

fundamentalists but ordinary Iraqis who will fight to get rid of the

Americans. "We have a 9,000-year-old culture, you have a 200-year-old

culture," one of the men said. "I think we can figure out our own

future."

Iraqis are puzzled why the United States, a country that can make

bombs so smart they target a particular building from 30,000 miles in

the air, can't give Iraqis electricity or create a functioning

economy. Some are so puzzled that they have concluded that the United

States is purposely trying to destroy every aspect of the economy so

that they can come in and rebuild it in their own image. Others

attribute the mess to incompetence, arrogance or stupidity.

One of our visits in Baghdad was to the famous circle where the

statute of Saddam Hussein had come tumbling down, the scene that was

showed over and over on U.S. television. Now, a new, rather

indecipherable three-headed statue by a young Iraqi artist was in its

place. But curiously, on the column just beneath the statue, someone

had written in bright red paint and imperfect English, "All donne. Go

home."

For lack of an alternative, most Iraqis are still willing to give the

United States more time in the driver's seat. But the clock is ticking

and their patience is wearing thin.

Medea Benjamin is co-founder of Global Exchange. For more information

about the International Occupation Watch Center, visit

www.occupationwatch.org.

© 2003 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.