[lbo-talk] Re: queened for a day

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 14 10:57:01 PDT 2003

So why are Eco's Ur-Fascists and the Christian Coalition so against it then? And they don't like this show. The Traditional Values coalition <http://www.traditionalvalues.org/article.php?sid=1042> comments:

>Perhaps Bravo should consider airing a series called "AIDS Hospice,"
>featuring homosexual men who are in various stages of dying from
>this wasting disease as a result of engaging in anal intercourse
>with numerous sexual partners. This would far more accurately
>portray the end results of homosexual sodomy. Sadly, the AIDS Quilt
>is a constant reminder to those of us who believe in traditional
>values that some sexual behaviors lead inevitably to death.

What an outburst of left prissiness that has brought out. It's a fucking TV show, and a comic one at that (or so I assume, since it doesn't premiere until Tuesday). It's not reckless or abusive stereotyping to say that in a random selection of 100 gay men and 100 straight men, the gay men will on balance be better dressed and in better physical shape. In fact, a good deal of straight male discourse involves policing behaviors that are seen as faggy - e.g., good grooming, sexualizing the body, a taste for good food, and the display of some aesthetic sense. I think it's a good idea to undermine that policing. I'd much rather live in a society where it doesn't happen. And sure there are aspects of gay male culture that are hypermasculine and big-swing-dicky, but more so than a Big Ten frathouse?

Doug