[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 11:23:57 PDT 2003

I think this show's premise is quite funny. I know a lot of folks have reacted negatively for a variety of political reasons but my own feelings are that, "gaze", "empowerment" and capitalist issues aside (way, way aside - let's place these concerns far away, say, on the frigid surface of Pluto, and be done with them as regards this silly program) it's not a bad idea.

In fact, I personally benefited from a similar 'makeover' years ago. Fortunately (and probably due to the no-nonsense beliefs in equality and comfort with paradox I learned from my family) I've never been burdened with an abundance of homophobia.

So, when a Gay bud suggested, years ago, that I switch from stiff, ugly dockers to tailored slacks, from beat up sneakers to some very sharp shoes, get a flattering haircut and say goodbye to rumpled cotton shirts and hello to sateen (very nice synthetic btw - probably quite evil somehow, but it feels like an electronica CD's dream of the future - smooth, vaguely bluish in tint and unruffled), I listened without reservation.

Was I liberated from the iron vice of capital? No. Did I get laid and feel good? Yes and uh, yes again. Ironic that a Gay man would help me do better with women? I suppose but it's an irony one can live with quite comfortably.

Travelling to Hugo Boss, Armani and all the rest (my friend's hope for me) was a bridge too far - I did have to actually have money to eat after all - but the change, which took for good it seems, was a lot of fun.

As, I suppose, the show might be.

DRM