[lbo-talk] Beyond the Bipartisan Hegemony [Fwd: Re: fighting ideology]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 14 14:24:44 PDT 2003

Grant Lee wrote:

>One of my politics professors, a Marxist, used to tell his students that he
>always voted for centre-RIGHT parties, because things had to get worse
>before they would get better.

Yeah, but is that really true? In the U.S., the left got hammered during the Reagan years. The Clinton years saw the rise of the anti-sweatshop movement (which was stimulated by the admin's absurd corporate whitewash front), the "Seattle" coalition, etc. Going further back, the Eisenhower 50s were a disaster, but the JFK-LBJ 60s were the opposite.

Doug