[lbo-talk] Beyond the Bipartisan Hegemony

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 14 14:47:32 PDT 2003

>Grant Lee wrote:
>
>>One of my politics professors, a Marxist, used to tell his students that he
>>always voted for centre-RIGHT parties, because things had to get worse
>>before they would get better.
>
>Yeah, but is that really true? In the U.S., the left got hammered
>during the Reagan years. The Clinton years saw the rise of the
>anti-sweatshop movement (which was stimulated by the admin's absurd
>corporate whitewash front), the "Seattle" coalition, etc. Going
>further back, the Eisenhower 50s were a disaster, but the JFK-LBJ
>60s were the opposite.
>
>Doug

I don't think that things have to get worse before they get better; I also don't think that it's a fruitful line of inquiry to ask whether things have to get worse or better before they get better. That's a futile question as far as economic booms and busts are concerned, as you can vote for neither a boom nor a bust. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>