[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Mon Jul 14 15:26:57 PDT 2003

Liza Featherstone wrote:
> I love it because it's funny, and onto quite a lot of
> cultural subtleties. But, to get a bit earnest about
> the politics of it -- I think they're great! The reason
> the Christian right hates it -- and part of the reason
> I love it -- is that the message is that homosex is
> GOOD for heterosex. By being less invested in his
> heterosexuality, and indeed, more willing to be
> feminine (even submissive), a man will do better
> with the ladies and perhaps also be more fully
> himself, less alienated from his own body, less
> repressed etc. The idea is, it's in his *self-interest*
> not to be homophobic. I think that's a great political
> message, as well as very sound practical advice.
> Just as feminism has always sought to liberate
> men from oppressive conventions of masculinity,
> this show seems to say, as radical queers have
> often pointed out, that gay culture has much to
> offer straights. That gay liberation is not just about
> gay "rights" and "tolerance," but about changing the
> way all of us define ourselves, and think about
> gender and sexuality.

Yeah! What she said. Besides, being made over by the Fab Five must be more fun than reading GQ...

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!