[lbo-talk] Beyond the Bipartisan Hegemony

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 14 15:55:08 PDT 2003

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>>>Yeah, but is that really true? In the U.S., the left got hammered
>>>during the Reagan years. The Clinton years saw the rise of the
>>>anti-sweatshop movement (which was stimulated by the admin's
>>>absurd corporate whitewash front), the "Seattle" coalition, etc.
>>>Going further back, the Eisenhower 50s were a disaster, but the
>>>JFK-LBJ 60s were the opposite.
>>>
>>>Doug
>>
>>I don't think that things have to get worse before they get better;
>>I also don't think that it's a fruitful line of inquiry to ask
>>whether things have to get worse or better before they get better.
>>That's a futile question as far as economic booms and busts are
>>concerned, as you can vote for neither a boom nor a bust.
>
>Booms are usually better than busts, but that's not what I was
>talking about. Eisenhower, Nixon, and Reagan were Republicans;
>Kennedy, Johnson, and Clinton were Democrats.
>
>Doug

It seems to me that if upsurges in social-movement organizing happened to coincide with Democratic administrations in the post-Great Depression decades, that only means that they coincided with boom years in economy, for which Democrats aren't responsible. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>