[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Mon Jul 14 18:35:12 PDT 2003

This really isn't at all true. Whether or not you think the quest to improve one's appearance is a worthy one, people whose looks can't be improved by a little bit of effort -- either by the things you mentioned, or by better or more flattering clothes, more makeup, less makeup, better or more frequent haircuts, more sex, more sleep, better nutrition or any number of variables - are in a tiny minority.

I have one friend who is so naturally beautiful that there is little she could do to improve her appearance, but such people are rare. On the other end of the spectrum, I can think of only one person who is so clock-stoppingly hideous that the situation may be hopeless. But the vast majority of us are somewhere in the middle.

I really don't see anything wrong with it either. Within reason, attempting to look a little better is respectful and courteous to our loved ones, and to the world at large. And in the ugly landscape that is much of America, often the only way to maintain some aesthetic standard in one's daily life.

Liza