Making Over Reality (Re: [lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover)

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Tue Jul 15 07:28:07 PDT 2003

I agree, the obsession with making things over on TV IS an interesting one. I've watched more of the ones on the BBC channel, and interestingly, the British What Not to Wear (and the home decorating show too) lack this redemption component, or at least its not as pronounced. The women whose wardrobes are so critiqued are often (not always) defiant, resist the hosts suggestions at every turn, and return to their slutty/tacky/frumpy ways after the show. They say the new fashionable/tasteful/age-appropriate look was OK, but it's just not for them. Often, the joke is on the style police, because while they consider the woman to be a style disaster, she's perfectly content with her look. the message often is, fashion just doesn't matter that much to most people. sometimes the implication is, the fashion ladies are elitist/conformist and the folks rejecting their suggestions are working-class individualists. similarly on the home decorating show, the subjects very often hate the changes, even if they are more "tasteful" by bourgeois standards. It is an interesting cultural difference: the British show has a bit more subtle class warfare and resistance to expertise, more questioning of why/whether things or people need to be made over.

on the other hand, Faking It, also on BBC involves such a heavy dose of humiliation and performance anxiety that it makes me too stressed-out to watch it. I always make Doug change the channel.

Liza