Making Over Reality (Re: [lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 15 08:36:51 PDT 2003

At 10:28 AM -0400 7/15/03, Liza Featherstone wrote:
>I agree, the obsession with making things over on TV IS an
>interesting one. I've watched more of the ones on the BBC channel,
>and interestingly, the British What Not to Wear (and the home
>decorating show too) lack this redemption component, or at least its
>not as pronounced. The women whose wardrobes are so critiqued are
>often (not always) defiant, resist the hosts suggestions at every
>turn, and return to their slutty/tacky/frumpy ways after the show.
>They say the new fashionable/tasteful/age-appropriate look was OK,
>but it's just not for them. Often, the joke is on the style police,
>because while they consider the woman to be a style disaster, she's
>perfectly content with her look.

An unintended but deliciously ironic allegory of the US/UK makeover reality show (giving a makeover to a nation rather than an individual) in Iraq? :-> -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>