[lbo-talk] A Better Occupation Or Immediate Withdrawal From Iraq: WhatShould We Be Fighting For?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 15 09:00:51 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> ... Washington as presently configured, which by
> its nature (like all great powers of the past) is
> preoccupied with plans and counterplans, purposes and
> cross-purposes, all directed towards the goal of
> maximizing the power of ruling elites

In the last instance yes, & on the whole also in the 'first' instance each morning -- but can we really depend upon this universal to explain all specific situations? And there is also the problem of the 'self-knowledge' of the "ruling elites": Do they always know their own interests? It's tautological almost that they don't _always_ know. But do they _ever_ know fully? And how often and under what conditions can they be depended on to (more or less) know and act on their own interests?

Just wiggling my fingers, but I think the questions are worth at least lazy attention.

Carrol