[lbo-talk] Third Party Solutions, was Re: Lieberman

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Jul 15 16:12:51 PDT 2003

Jon Johanning wrote:
> Surely it is high time to junk these models and come
> up with something more appropriate to our specific
> conditions. Leninism, Kautskyism, Maoism, etc.,
> appeal to well-read radicals with specialized radical
> educations, but for most Americans,

Huh? What incited the bogus dig at "well-read radicals with specialized radical educations"? As irrelevant as the few Marxist-Leninists can be, it isn't very common, whereas obtuse populism can be pervasive. In fact, the latter is more problematic for American third parties, and the Left generally, than bookish Commies.

Certainly, for the vast majority of Americans politics means Democrat v. Republican. Period. But a big part of radical politics is *not* accepting the world just as you find it. You are right, however, that the means of changing this eludes us. To say this is not to ignore the Democratic party, the primaries of which I intend to vote in next year.

FWIW, Carrol wasn't exactly arguing for revolution, but against progressive electoral strategies. And as Doug has observed, American activism is animated more by the "less readin', more doin'" credo than Marxist reading circles.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!