[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Wed Jul 16 07:31:56 PDT 2003

Agree with this. Because something is culturally constructed, or perhaps a feature of class society, does not necessarily mean we want to, or can, give it up. The whole concept of having privacy when you take a shit, and of distancing shit from our everyday lives through toilets, etc, for example, has been created, refined and shaped by bourgeois notions of individualism (as noted in The History of Shit, by some French theoryhead whose name escapes me), but I think most of us are happy with it, or at the very least regard it neutrally.

And of course standards of beauty have changed over time, and are different across cultures and classes, but the point is every culture and subculture has them. So while of course it's good to question where they come from, and to step outside them and look for the less obvious forms of human beauty, it's unlikely we'd be rid of them ever, class society, patriarchy or no. And who doesn't enjoy beauty, whatever it is? I think most of us really like looking at the beautiful or well-turned out (however we define that), of any gender, class or race, and, once out of high school, we are also of course capable of seeing beyond physical appearance.

Something further about class and beauty: while fashion can be very class-exclusive - brand name stuff does cost a lot more -- beauty products and manicures/pedicures are not. the latter are seen as something that the woman who isn't rich can do to make herself feel a lot prettier. you'll notice that women's magazines targetting the working class (like Cosmo) or the young (Jane, the former Mademoiselle) have very little fashion advice, but lots of stuff on makeup, nail care etc. Editors of these magazines say, our readers aren't really interested in high fashion because they can't afford it, but they can and will buy a new lipstick. In fact, lipstick is sometimes seen as an economic indicator: in bad times, sales of lipstick go up, because if you can't afford a new outfit, a lipstick is something quite cheap that can be equally satisfying. Poor neighborhoods have more nail salons than rich ones - partly because it's an inexpensive business to run and to start, but also because poor women who can't go to restaurants, buy fancy clothes, etc, can still get their nails done. Agree with those posters who have suggested that for (white) men, fussing with nails and products is associated with yuppie prosperity, but I think for women it's another story altogether.

Liza