[lbo-talk] I don't get it...

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 10:57:00 PDT 2003

Joanna wrote:

Didn't the media know that it was all made up to begin with? Why do they care about it now? What has changed? I don't get it.

Yes, it is most passing strange; particularly if you've been paying close attention to the ins and outs from the beginning.

My guess: the monumental failure of the Bush administration to control, well, anything really (lost control of Afghanistan, didn't get the UN vote for war, weren't welcomed with flowers and sweets in Iraq, haven't discovered caches of bio/chem weapons, mounting an Everest sized deficit, etc.) have, with a lovely flourish, removed the imperial purple, partially deactivated the illusion field generator that's been creating the images of square-jawed leaders boldly striding to tommorowland and revealed a glimpse of the toothless drunk on a beat-up donkey we suspected was in charge all along.

Now, smart reporters have known this all along but had to go along to get along. This moment of imagery retreat, when all the "empire" talk of only a few months ago looks like the book-fueled rantings of Quixote (without the sweetness) is one of those times of opening, when the bullshit apparatus is so overstressed that it takes real work for even the truest of believers to not acknowledge that something is very wrong.

Then again, perhaps I'm the one dreaming.

DRM