[lbo-talk] I don't get it...

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 15:21:55 PDT 2003

My interpretation of Joanna's comment that it "...was all made up to begin with" (and I'll take my corrective medicine without complaint if wrong) is that the lies in question were the Bush Administration’s interlocking web of false statements about the imminent threat Iraq posed to the world under Hussein.

The American media (with notable exceptions like Seymour Hersh), despite abundant opportunities, did not debunk even the most egregious and glaring lies. Now, they are starting to do their job, with the Niger uranium story acting as the opening crowbar.

Why the change from then to now? This was Joanna's question.

.From Secretary Powell's astoundingly absurd UN presentation to 'Phony' Tony Blair's claim that Iraq could launch horribly war headed missiles within 45 minutes of the go order, we were bombarded with propaganda that tried to portray Iraq as a sort of new Hitlerian Germany, Soviet Union and one-stop terrorist supply shop all rolled up into one heavily weaponed package. And, crucially, bent on world terrorism.

So yes, everyone with an interest knew that Iraq had weapons programs in the past. But weapons or no, these statements about super-threat were incredible as even non-lefty critics like former inspector Scott Ritter pointed out again and again and again.

I suppose that now the war's 'over', and the Administration got what it wanted and elites see the results (which do not seem, to date, to tend towards the accumulation of capital or influence) there is greater room for critical reportage.

Which, as Doug stated, is probably the working out of elite infighting in plain view.

DRM