[lbo-talk] And Speaking Of A Change In The Media Climate

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 16:16:49 PDT 2003

[The following was broadcast on that most pedestrian of shows, ABC's "Good Morning America". If soldiers are allowed to openly state, on national morning time television, that they want Rumsfeld to resign you know something's up.]

U.S. Soldiers Complain of Low Morale in Iraq

Wed Jul 16,10:24 AM ET

By Sue Pleming

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fed up with being in Iraq and demoralized by their role as peacekeepers in a risky place, a group of U.S. soldiers aired their plight on U.S. television on Wednesday and said they had lost faith in the Army.

Told several times they would be going home only to have their hopes dashed this week, a small group of soldiers from the 3rd Infantry Division in Iraq, spoke of poor morale and disillusionment with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

"If Donald Rumsfeld were here, I'd ask him for his resignation," one disgruntled soldier told ABC's "Good Morning America" show.

Asked by a reporter what his message would be for Rumsfeld, one said: "I would ask him why we are still here. I don't have any clue as to why we are still in Iraq."

[...]

full at

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=1&u=/nm/20030716/ts_nm/iraq_troops_morale_dc_1