[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Jul 16 16:46:56 PDT 2003

>Poor neighborhoods have more nail
>salons than rich ones - partly because it's an inexpensive business to
>run and to start, but also because poor women who can't go to restaurants,
>buy fancy clothes, etc, can still get their nails done. Agree with those
posters
>who have suggested that for (white) men, fussing with nails and products
>is associated with yuppie prosperity, but I think for women it's another
story
>altogether.
>
>Liza

Of course there's entertainment value, but nails are very much a marker of whether you do manual labor or not--proving you don't, even when you do. I think the class content has overwhelmed the aesthetics, not to mention convenience. Women who are assumed not to do manual labor don't have to work so hard to look like they don't.

Jenny Brown