[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jul 16 18:58:28 PDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 Miles Jackson wrote:

> Instead of noncritically accepting the existing, socially determined
> beauty standards, why can't we create new ones?

We can, and people do all the time -- fashion is synonymous with constant change, which is accomplishd in large part by people who care about fashion.

> Obviously this is a subject near to my heart, but c'mon back: we could
> create a society in which hair loss was symbolic of . . . an abundance
> of sexual virility

And people have. There are more young, strong men walking around now who have voluntarily shaved their heads because they think it looks cool and sexy than at any time in American history.

If you really care deeply about revaluing baldness, then you should join them. Shave your head, tone up, dress sexy, help make baldness look cool, and you'll be lending one more hand to fashion's wheel.

Unless you want this change to happen without you making any effort at all? I'm afraid not even socially constructed realities are that pliable.

Michael