[lbo-talk] Re: queen for a day

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Thu Jul 17 08:27:41 PDT 2003

At 11:15 AM 7/17/03 -0400, Kelley wrote:

>><...>they have less than I do because the bosses
>>own and control the means of production, and my
>>wearing jeans and a T-shirt to work is not going to
>>change that, hmm?
>
>you are a poor black man because the bosses own and control the means of
>production, and my removing the Lawn Jockey is not going to change that, hmmm?
>
>you are paid less as a woman because the bosses own and control the means
>of production, and my removing the Titty Posters from my office or ending
>the practice of calling you babe at work isn't going to change that, hmmm?

before you imagine that I'm asking you to slip off that sexy dark tailored suit and show me a little skin, as a sign of solidarity, let me point out that, as much as I'd like to watch that show, this is not what I'm getting at. Asking people to simultaneously fight against class society--by ending it--and work toward ending the ways they inscribe and reinscribe status privilege is not the same thing as asking you to feel guilty or give up what you like. it is, rather, asking you to take a look at the discourse ends up reinscribing status privilege and that _does_ work to aid and abett class exploitation: it keeps workers from questioning why they don't deserve more (see Ehrenreich) AND it is also about keeping us pissed at each other rather than working together toward mutual goals.

I don't think the onus is on the woman, the person of color, or the working class in this scenario. telling colin that _he_ and he alone was what stood in the way of class solidarity is bullshit, not the least because it didn't happen. that was in your own dome.

kelley