[lbo-talk] U.S. recession ended in November 2001...

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 09:54:35 PDT 2003

Doug wrote (quoting NBER report):

The committee determined, however, that the fact that the broadest, most comprehensive measure of economic activity is well above its pre-recession levels implied that any subsequent downturn in the economy would be a separate recession.

This has a certain ring to it, a contemporary echo of the hair splitting and circular arguments we're told Medieval scholars passed chilly afternoons with.

I suppose that technically, it's all on the up and up (I'm not qualified in the economic theory or maths to parse the assertion). If so, what a wonderful illustration of the severely limited usefulness of closed loops of inquiry.

DRM