[lbo-talk] Japanese Toymaker Develops Cat Translator

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 10:54:54 PDT 2003

[Whoever said that capitalism was killing science obviously was unaware of the cutting edge work being done in trans-mammal language translation. I don't even have a cat and I want one of these.]

Japanese Toymaker Goes Meowlingual

(AP) - After selling 300,000 pet-lovers on the Bowlingual gadget that supposedly translates a dog's bark into human language, a toymaker hopes to parlay that success into a new hit product: Meowlingual. The cat-shaped machine set to go on sale in Japan in November translates meows and purrs into human phrases such as "I can't stand it," although exact wording hasn't been decided yet, Tokyo-based Takara Co. said Wednesday

[...]

full at (you've got to see the picture of the pissed cat being urged on to "speak")

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030716/ap_on_re_as/japan_meowlingual_1