[lbo-talk] I don't get it..

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Thu Jul 17 11:38:01 PDT 2003

Michael Pollak wrote:
> The US and UK were alone in the world in saying
> the inspectors' reports were not trustworthy. They
> didn't go to war on the basis of bad intelligence.
> They went to war on the basis of no intelligence.
> They simply refused to believe the very public
> evidence that the entire world had before it and
> that everyone else believed. Their only
> counterevidence was their own convictions.

[....]

> When now either those policy makers or the media
> claim now that "no one thought different" it simply
> reveals them as people who live in a cult-bubble of
> their own convictions, for whom the world outside is
> an illusion.

Reminds me of a scene from Charlie Rose last night. Some Brit journo from the Times (name escapes me) had spent 30 days with Blair leading up to the war, and the Times man in Washington were on. One of them was going on about how sincere Blair is about the existence of WMDs, how he hasn't lost confidence in himself, yadda. Charlie, true to form, speaks of the "paradox" of it all: By boldly acting on principle in the face of peer pressure from European leaders and public opinion, he gets smeared as a poodle to Bush. Apparently, this blew Charlie's mind.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!