[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Thu Jul 17 12:19:36 PDT 2003

Brian Siano wrote:
> And it's genuinely sad to see what's happened to
> _Playboy_ over the past two decades. I remember
> when they'd run interviews with the likes of Philip
> Roth and Miles Davis and Fidel Castro, and run
> fiction by John Cheever and Donald Westlake and
> Vladimir Nabokov. The music section addressed
> everything from classical to jazz. And the photography
> was, well, breathtaking. Nowadays, competing with
> the likes of _Maxim_, it's frat-boy monthly, where
> the interviews are mostly with movie and sports
> stars, the music's mainly fake-blues beer-rock, and
> the photography's gone way over to garish colors and
> bizarre poses.

It also once provided a space for new writers to get their teeth cut.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!