[lbo-talk] Boeing plans China joint venture

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Jul 17 16:57:15 PDT 2003

Eubulides wrote:

> Big Bird has just announced they're going to lay off 5,000 more workers in
> WA.

Yes, I saw that news report. Will Airbus follow Boeing into China?

> Only a matter of time before they have more employees in China than
> they do in the US.

There is also this news report about immigration. (See ET News about Gallup poll)

"Richer Americans feel immigration is good for the country, the poll shows. Some 75 percent of those whose incomes are $75,000 or greater say immigration is good for the country today, which declines to about 6 in 10 in households with incomes between $30,000 and $75,000, and to fewer than half (46 percent) of those in households with incomes below $30,000."

Ulhas

The Economic Times

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

47% Americans want reduced immigration: poll

IANS

WASHINGTON: The anti-immigrant effects of 9/11 continue as more Americans want reduced immigration levels, according to the latest Gallup poll. At the same time, Americans continue to endorse the general idea of immigration even while they resist expanding it.

The poll, conducted during June 12-18, finds that 47 per cent of Americans think immigration levels should be decreased, 13 per cent want them increased, and 37 percent say they should be kept at their present levels. A majority of Americans, especially older Conservatives, not surprisingly, want immigrants to blend into the mainstream culture even if they have to give up some important aspects of their own culture.

These attitudes are little changed when compared to last year at this time, but these and other data show a somewhat more negative view of immigration than what existed before the September 11, 2001, terror attacks. Fifty-eight percent say "immigration is a good thing" for the country today, while 36 per cent say it is "a bad thing".

Whites (49 per cent) are slightly more likely than blacks (44 per cent) -- and substantially more likely than Hispanics (36 per cent) -- to say immigration should be decreased.

Blacks (20 per cent) and Hispanics (24 per cent) are much more likely than whites (11 per cent) to say immigration should be increased.

Only 38 per cent of 18- to 29-year-olds would like to see immigration decreased. This rises to 44 per cent among 30- to 49-year-olds, to 52 percent among 50- to 64-year-olds, and to 60 per cent among those aged 65 and older.

A plurality of 18- to 29-year-olds say immigration should be kept at its present level (in the other age groups, "decreased" is the plurality or majority response).

Richer Americans feel immigration is good for the country, the poll shows. Some 75 percent of those whose incomes are $75,000 or greater say immigration is good for the country today, which declines to about 6 in 10 in households with incomes between $30,000 and $75,000, and to fewer than half (46 percent) of those in households with incomes below $30,000.

Sixty percent of Americans say it is better for the United States to "encourage immigrants to blend into American culture by giving up some important aspects of their own culture," while 31 per cent disagree and say it is better to "encourage immigrants to maintain their own culture more strongly, even if that means they do not blend in as well."

Whites (63 per cent) are more likely to say that immigrants should blend into American culture than are blacks (47 per cent) or Hispanics (52 per cent).

Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,385 national adults, aged above 18.

Copyright © 2003 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.