[lbo-talk] I don't get it..

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 21:14:05 PDT 2003

I agree with Dennis and Chomsky, but Ulhas's point is, why did the US risk nuclear war over Cuba when it knew that the Russians had nukes in Cuba? I haven't looked at the new materials available on the Cuban Missile Crisis, so anything I say has to be taken with that in mind.

This is a standard case study in International Relations (which I did in grad school in addition to, or subsequent to, philosophy, long story), but that was a while back. I recall being impressed with this point about the micropolitics of US decisionmaking in view of what was known 20 years ago (well, a little less, 15 years ago), namely that US policymakers became deeply irrational in the crisis.

There was the general strategic point Chomsky makes, but the willingness to risk nuclear war to make the point requires additional explanatory factors, and the JFK White House was a particularly macho place. They seem to have got caught up in the showdown aspects of thing, although Bobby K did, somewhat uniquely, have an appreciation for what nuclear war would mean. Still, they bet on the fact that Khrushchev would be a grown up and "blink," and K, who had seen what total war looked like on the ground, and who was the world leader before Gorbachev who most lucidly appreciated what nuclear weapons could do, indeed acted rationally.

That's the conclusion I came to the last time I looked at this.

jks