[lbo-talk] Time To Face Facts: The Addlebrained Bushies FooledThemselves (was I don't get it)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 18 12:45:36 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> I'm a pessimist on this point and believe this
> tendency towards stupidity and blindness are universal
> human traits - sometimes dormant sometimes active -
> that will probably prevent us from rising to the
> various challenges we face. But that's my drama.

One trouble in invoking "human nature," or "tendency towards X," is that it always has to explain too many different things, & because it explains so much is actually only giving a name to what needs to be explained. Marx on Providence:

****** Providence, providential aim, this is the great word used today to explain the movement of history. In fact, this word explains nothing. It is at most a rhetorical form, one of the various ways of paraphrasing facts.

It is a fact that in Scotland landed property acquired a new value by the development of English industry. This industry opened up new outlets for wool. In order to produce wool on a large scale, arable land had to be transformed into pasturage. To effect this transformation, the estates had to be concentrated. To concentrate the estates, small holdings had first to be abolished, thousands of tenants had to be driven from their native soil and a few shepherds in charge of millions of sheep to be installed in their place. Thus, by successive transformations, landed property in Scotland has resulted in the driving out of men by sheep. Now say that the providential aim of the institution of landed property in Scotland was to have men driven out by sheep, and you will have made providential history.

Of course, the tendency towards equality belongs to our century. To say now that all former centuries, with entirely different needs, means of production, etc., worked providentially for the realization of equality is, firstly, to substitute the means and the men of our century for the men and the means of earlier centuries and to misunderstand the historical movement by which the successive generations transformed the results acquired by the generations that preceded them. Economists know very well that the very thing that was for the one a finished product was for the other but the raw material for new production.

Suppose, as M. Proudhon does, that social genius produced, or rather improvised, the feudal lords with the providential aim of transforming the settlers into responsible and equally-placed workers: and you will have effected a substitution of aims and of persons worthy of the Providence that instituted landed property in Scotland, in order to give itself the malicious pleasure of driving out men by sheep. (Poverty of Philosophy) *****

Carrol